9/9/08

Particle Physics is Supa Dupa Fly

5, 4, 3, 2, ....



No, we are not going to be swallowed up in a black hole. And if we were, we wouldn't even know it was happening. Regardless, the hype of the danger of CERN's LHC (Large Hadron Collider) is silly. My husband is silly too because he actually sort of believes everything will end tonight at midnight. I will be sitting on the couch next to him, watching the live streaming on the big screen TV, and laughing my ass off.

All in all, I think it is amazingly cool and I won't even pretend to understand much in the ways of particle or theoretical physics. What I do know is that these experiments could change the way we think of the world, the Big Bang, and honestly change the field of science all-together.

So ATLAS, ALICE, and CMS; do your stuff! I can't wait to see what you find...even if I'll be exhausted tomorrow.

As an add on for the science geeks out there...this is too funny. I've even shared it with my fifth graders though it went way over their heads.

2 comments:

Peeper said...

You've been tagged. I can't believe you weren't already? Did I just tag you again?

Erin said...

That video is awesome. I want to be a scientist now. (I think I have been watching too much Big Bang Theory).
I'm glad that the world didn't end last night. Did those scientists manage to recreate the Big Bang after all?